- sustainability:powering a bike light with a bike - Kimberly
- sustainability: recycling competition - Kimberly
- sustainability: apples for food miles - Kimberly
- wind energy: TP demo - Tim
potential -> kinetic: mousetrap box - ??
- Electrical energy: Stella / Jacob's ladder - Jeff
- Radiant energy: putting a light bulb in a microwave - Tim (i know, sketchy, but shows radient energy without trying to source cesium =-O )
potential -> kinetic: dropping a bowling ball on a teeter-totter with a whole bunch of orange glow sticks in EO storage (chem energy) on the other end - ??
...they'd fly out in to the audience as a demonstration of potential to kinetic energy (bean bag chair)
Chemical energy: http://chemistry.about.com/od/glowinthedarkprojects/ss/glowmentossoda.htm Glow In The Dark MentosAndTonicWaterFountain - Janine
Chemical energy/Thermal energy:http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistrydemonstrations/a/elephanttooth.htm - ElephantToothpaste (exothermic) - Janine
- and then as a finale
- ..sonic energy. [Linda's sourcing lead crystal...]
Along the way we'd show a side of all the units of energy (or at least the major ones), defs. of potential and kinetic engergy, COSMIC launch (enough energy to escape earth atmos.), a hurricane as an example of conservation of energy, and types of renewable energy. Tim has started brainstorming and creating the ppt presentation: [see attachments tab for latest]
http://homechemistry.blogspot.com/2008/04/endothermic-reactions.html - Easy Home Chemistry Endothermic Reactions - probably not enough bang for us..
Nix! - quantum demo http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2008-07/quantum-physics-glass )
- filling a weather balloon with boiling water through convection
http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistrydemonstrations/a/endothermicrxn.htm - Barium Endothermic Reaction - cold enough to freeze water, but has an ammonia smell