Super Science Saturday 2007
Saturday Oct 27, 2007
Minimizing your carbon footprint
- unplug your toaster, cell phone charger (anything with a transformer)
- Tundra becoming Boreal Forest (permafrost melting)
- RF generator to burn water
- climate scenario cards
- lettuce ("iceberg" of course!!)
- hair dryer
- ice water
- dehydrate, rehydrate, show stress, point of no return - this was a BUST!
- fire tornado
- tie into wildfires in CA right now
- Dry ice: jets on overhead
- LN2: rubberbands, bananas, flowers
- LN2 ice cream
- golf ball demo
Sea Level Rise
- difference between sea ice and fast ice
sea ice -> no sea level rise
fast ice (ice on land) -> sea level rise
- two tanks, one with floating ice, one with ice on a pedistal raised above water level
- melt and show change on water level or no
- Charlie Knight has huge freezer where we can make ice blocks.
Global warming - heating of air/water via longwace greenhouse gases
- tank with lid and bright lamp, 1/2 filled with water
- place various albedo surfaces under bottom of glass tank
- "flash paper" or balloon under lamp to show heat transfer
- pics of healthy and water stressed plants in IR
- Moulin video
- 3D ice sheet video - IDV vis
- sea ice extent changes - 2007 is smallest extent so far, reached new min in Aug. NSIDC should have press release if min. else use equinox press release.
- "The climate meter" - show stable vs unstable equilibrium. If we get out of the valley, then can go unstable to, say ice age?